Monday, March 30, 2015

Genre.


Stories of the Silver Sky has a Genre and that is Science-Fantasy!


Because I Refuse to chose between Sword&Laser! I love the trappings,tropes and conventions of both Science-Fiction and Fantasy and see no reason why I should have to chose between the two of them.


Why not indeed? Unfortunately not everyone feels this way,in fact there are many in the genre fiction community who vehemently oppose any cross-pollination between the two titans of genre fiction.
Fantasy,Science fiction and their myriad sub-genres must be kept strictly separate, segregated into their own separate but equal sphere of the  genre space. The Gross commercial success of a genre hybrid, the Star Wars series, is viewed as precisely that gross. A mongrel a bastard that dilutes the purity of it's parent genres.

This obsession with genre purity is as far as I can tell is a primarily western phenomenon. In the Land Of the rising Sun their are many examples of a Science Fiction work containing fantastic elements,or a Fantasy World that incorporates advanced technologies either  as part of the "modern" world or in the form ruins from a lost age; or  magic filtered through a scientific lens.







My genre had been staring me in the face for years without me ever realizing it.

                                                                   


No comments:

Post a Comment